Use of Chemicals – Consent Requirements

Under the Offshore Chemical Regulations 2002, all chemicals (including drilling muds) require a consent to discharge. Chemicals used must be registered with CEFAS and selected through a risk based approach. Different permit applications are in place for drilling (Drilling Operations Application), pipelines (Pipeline Operations Application), platforms (Production Operations Application), decommissioning and well abandonment (Decommissioning Operations Application), and workovers (Well Intervention Operations Application) Master Application Templates (MAT).


Action Needed

4 months

Identify chemical requirements and ensure all chemicals are registered with CEFAS (i.e. full HOCNF data set available).
Ensure chemicals selected are registered with CEFAS and those of high environmental risk are replaced as far as possible.
Undertake risk assessment and CHARM modelling for chemicals not on OSPAR PLONOR list. Substitute any chemicals designated as high risk to the environment.
Prepare MAT. If MAT seeking an EIA direction or an ES has not been submitted, environmental information will also be required.

28 days

Submit appropriate MAT to DECC.

Chemical Use or Discharge


Key Compliance


Use technology and other techniques to prevent or reduce chemical discharges.

Ensure justification for use is given for all chemicals flagged for substitution. Encourage chemical suppliers to have programme in place to identify alternative chemicals.

Monitor and record use and discharge of all chemicals. Report quantitites of chemicals used and discharged via EEMS.

Report any chemical spills to DECC using PON1