Production – Consent Requirements



Action Needed

Ensure approval in place for New Project or Major Modification.

Ozone depleting substances and fluorinated GHGs. Ensure halon use meets strict controls. Particular attention to fire fighting system and refridgerants.

6 months

Prepare PPC Application for any new combustion plant exceeding 50 MW(th) or if substantial change to existing combustion plant due to modification.


Submit EU ETS registration and allocation application to DESNZ.

5 months

If not already done so, undertake risk assessments and prepareProduction Operations Application (PRA). (Note: ensure chemicals selected are registered with CEFAS and those of high environmental risk are replaced as far as possible).

4 months

If Radioactive Sources to be used prepare and submit application forCertificate of Registration to SEPA/EA
If no asset-wide Oil Pollution Emergency Plan in place, prepare OPEP.

3 months

Submit PPC application
If not already done so, submit Chemical Permit Application (PRA)

2 months

Submit application for Consent to Flare to DESNZ.
Submit application for Consent to Vent to DESNZ
Submit OPEP to DESNZ for approval

28 days

Submit Application for Oil Discharge Permit for produced water discharge (and other oil to sea e.g. drainage). Application required even if PWRI planned.
Include in Oil Discharge Permit any produced sand and LSA discharge if oil contamination expected.
Ensure installation has Garbage Management Plan in place.
If new production facility, ensure valid UK Oil Pollution Prevention Certificate (UKOPP) held for platform for any oily machinery space drainage.

First Oil


Key Compliance during Production

Ensure oil content and total volume of produced water discharge meets Oil Discharge permit requirements or any other target requirement.

Undertake routine sampling and analysis of produced water. Undertake monthly reporting.

Undertake routine sampling and analysis of produced sand. Undertake quarterly reporting.

Machinery space drainage. Ensure oil content of discharge meets legal performance standard of 15 ppm (oil in water). Record findings of sampling and analysis in Oil Record Book. Keep records for 3 years.

Combustion plant. Undertake monitoring and reporting of emissions as required by permit. Undertake emissions reporting via EEMS.

Record quantities of crude oil stored, loaded and offloaded and calculate VOC emissions. Make annual emissions report. General Oil and Gas UK guidance for reduction of VOC emissions

Ensure flaring and venting volumes are in compliance with consents. Refer Oil and Gas UK Standards for further performance standards. Meet consent reporting requirements and annual submission to EEMS. Report any compliance failure to DESNZ.

Ensure EU ETS reporting undertaken and annual verification of emissions and improvements.

Use technology and other techniques to prevent or reduce discharges of all chemicals. Monitor all use and discharge of chemicals and report quantities via EEMS reporting.

Report any accidental discharge of oil to sea to HM Coastguard and DESNZ using PON1

Report any accidental discharge of chemicals to DESNZ using PON1

Keep OPEP up to date and undertake routine response training and exercises

No current limits on sewage and cooling water discharges

Ensure no garbage (including plastics) disposed of overboard. Only comminuted food waste to be discharged.

Ensure Garbage Management Plan in place.

Maintain records of waste types and quantities. Undertake required reporting. Ensure correct transferral documentation for transfer of waste, including non-hazardous waste and special wastes (in particular any radioactive or oily waste) to shore.